Thursday, October 6, 2011

Week 1, Oct. 6

I have a very hard time admitting when summer is finally over.  Sadly, I cannot deny that we are full-on into autumn now, with such a chilly day, frost dusting the tops of our mailboxes this morning, and realizing it's actually October!  I love summer.  I love the warm sunshine, kids playing outside, the growing garden, family camping trips, a surplus of fresh fruit, and...everything!  One way I can help preserve my favorite season is putting up fresh produce for the winter (and fall).  I spend entire days in the kitchen, enduring the heat, as I'm canning jams, pickled vegetables, fruits, and various pie fillings, just so we can continue to enjoy them until they're hanging from the trees again, ripe and ready to be enjoyed.

One benefit of being a CSB member is being able to partake in these carefully crafted and preserved goodies.  I often incorporate summer's bounty into my treats, and while seasonal ingredients are always the best to use, there are times when it's fun to mix it up a bit, and pull out a jar of July's organic blueberry pie filling.

With the weather being so chilly, it's definitely pie and tart season.  For the first pick-up of the Fall 2011 CSB Session, each member will receive a variety of mini tarts.  All the fruits used are organic, everything is handmade from scratch, and most are local.  If you'd like to know where each fruit came from, just ask! 

Serve the tarts slightly warmed, and topped with freshly whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.  Store at room temperature in the bakery box provided. 
The four flavors are:
Mountain Huckleberry
in a Maple Graham Cracker Crust

Free Form Apple Tart
in a Whole Wheat Pastry Crust


Nectarine-Blueberry Tart
in a Cornmeal Crust

Pear Butter Handpie
(organic spiced pear butter
encased in classic pastry)


No comments: